Many of you know that for the last 10 1/2 years, my dear husband has gotten up at the crack of dawn almost every day and delivered the News and Observer. It was not a glamorous job, but it did replace almost 1/2 of my salary when we decided I would not return to dental hygiene, but become a full time mommy. It has served us well allowing us to maintain a lifestyle that we were comfortable with. If you had asked us at any given point in the last year, could we give up the income from Darrell doing the paper route, unfortunately we would have both answered the same - "no way!" Truly in human terms, we could not do without the extra $700 a month that splitting the route with our dear friends, provided us. But, on Thursday, January 8, His Will, Our Journey, began.
It had been a rough week - a very rough start to what we had hoped would be a wonderful beginning to a new year. We had all been very sick over the Christmas break - with a stomach virus, then Strep throat and impetigo on top of that! Darrell was hit the hardest with the illness - running a fever at one point of 104 degrees and doctors telling him that he probably had a touch of the flu along with the strep. (hence his absence in ALL of our New Years Eve photos!)Unfortunately for us, his partner was on a long overdue family vacation, so Darrell, sick as a dog, continued to get up every morning at 3:30am and faithfully delivered his papers. After 10 days of the route (sick for 8 of those), he overslept for the first time in 10 1/2 years. To make a long story short - they told him not to come back. By the time he came back to bed with me, all he could say was, "honey, I have some really bad news." Now, I have to say, I don't think there are many other things that can scare me as bad as my husband coming to bed and saying he has some really bad news! I could tell he was really shaken, and that scared me even more. In over 15 years of marriage I have VERY rarely seen anything "shake" him. He told me the events that had transpired, and even as he was talking, it was as if a sense of peace completely enfolded us. Over about an hour of laying in bed talking through things, we came to the mutual realization that this was all God's hand moving. I know my husband, and I have come to realize that there is not one lazy bone in his body - if there is work that can be done, he will gladly do it - and not even think to complain. If we made $300,000 per year and had absolutely zero debt, I cannot imagine him ever saying, "I don't think we really need that $700 a month any more, I think I will just quit the route." It would always be, "if I just worked one more month, we could save for this, or that", etc. Even more pressing is the fact that if he ever quit, that would leave our dear friends in a bind, as they would then have to do the route full time with no breaks, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. God saw that this route would never end for us if He left it in our hands. So, now we have the sense of peace about us, but the realization of losing $700 a month is a REAL fact - and a scary one at that! But, again, I realize that He uses us, just "plain jane" people - "jars of clay" if you will - to spread His word - to show and prove to others that He is as real as it gets. He knew with my big mouth that wouldn't be a problem! ;) I am not even sure I can begin to recount all the ways that He has shown us His hands over the last 2 weeks. I guess the start of it all happened in the first few days following the ordeal. The most pressing and concerning matter was that they had taken the route not only from Darrell, but from our friend as well. We felt a sense of peace about it, but certainly d
We thank you all for loving us and keeping us close in prayer!
Keeping our chins up!
Love,
Shannon



1 comment:
Love your post, your honesty, & your testimony. I have been learning over the past year that God is in control and that I need to let it go, too. Maybe I'll figure out a way to blog about it w/o crying...
Miss you guys so much!!! Hugs & kisses to you all! - Jenny
Post a Comment